Designed to help lower-income households meet the basic needs of their children, the SASSA Child Support Grant provides financial assistance to those households. A household’s cost of living is meant to be bridged rather than replaced by this income source. SASSA Foster Child Grant is a similar social support program. For both grants, only one application at a time will be accepted.
SASSA Child Support Grant Status Check Online if you are the primary caregiver of a child (whether you are a parent, grandparent, or anyone else primarily responsible for the child’s care). You can follow these steps to do it correctly.
SASSA Child Support Grant Status Check Online
Following are the steps you need to take to check your child support grant status:
- SASSA Status can be checked at “https://srd.sassa.gov.za/“.
- If this is a child who is the child’s primary caregiver, please enter the child’s South African ID number.
- The SASSA Child Support Grant application requires a cell phone number.
- Our database will be notified of your request when you click the ‘Submit’ button.
- SASSA Child Support Grant applications are processed through our web portal.
- Upon submitting your children’s grant application, you will be notified of its status.
- Important Notice: In 2024, the top-up on the Child Support Grant will increase to R250.
When you are Unable to Receive the SASSA Child Grant?
In order to qualify for the SASSA Child Support Grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Taking care of the child is a job you’re paid for.
- Despite your best efforts, you are not the primary caregiver of the child.
- A grant for the child has already been awarded to someone else.
- It is you who represent an institution that provides care for children.
- Note: A means test determines whether you qualify for the grant based on your assets and income.
What is the SASSA Child Grant Amount?
In general, the amount of the child support grant varies from year to year, but at present, it is R500 per child per month. A payment method can be specified when you submit your application. You can receive cash payments at designated pay points on specific days or have your bank account credited electronically.
- If you use your bank account for a transaction, you will be charged a normal bank fee. Any time you complete a form, you can change your payment method, but it will take effect one month from the date of submission.
When do you Start Receiving Children’s Grants?
You will be paid within three months if your application is approved, and they will be backdated to the date you applied.
When do SASSA Payments Stop for Child Care?
The following circumstances may result in the termination of your grant:
- Sadly, the child has passed away.
- In a few days, the child will turn 18.
- Three consecutive months pass without the caregiver filing a claim.
- There is an absence of the child from the country.
- In this case, the child has been placed in a state institution.
- Important Notice: A periodic review of your grant eligibility will ensure that it remains eligible. If your circumstances or those of your child change, you should inform the department immediately.
Contact for Enquiries
You can obtain information on the following topics from the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA):
- The pay-out dates.
- Government grant eligibility rules.
- Contact information for district offices.
- Your application will be assisted.
- Fraud and corruption should be reported.
- The main office’s toll-free number is: 0800 601 011
- Email: [email protected]